Features

This forum is retired, please use our new UserVoice support portal.

•  
HomeHomeRoyal TS (for W...Royal TS (for W...Beta DiscussionBeta Discussion[Request][SSH] Connection status indicator in tabs[Request][SSH] Connection status indicator in tabs
Previous

Next
New Post
3/21/2012 9:43 PM

Stefan,

Do you think it is possible to add a status indicator in tabs (mainly for SSH connections) for these states:

• Connected (standard)
  • Disconnected (if tab pinnable to stay open after disconnection)
  • Activity (buffer content change, ...)
  • [optional] Inactivity after recent change

Something like ...

... different icons for each status:
By different icons
(With the new feature allowing us to choose an icon for each connection, it will add 2 or 3 more icons ...)

... different background color for each status:
By background color
(Can be more "light" colored if the tab control use gradient filling with just the start or end color changed...)

... different rectangular bar for each status: (a bit tricky as you may need to overload the tab control)
By rectangular indicator

Maybe it can also be extended to RDP connection but I don't know if the RDP control has an event fired when the content is changed ...

Nicolas.
Before posting, don't forget to take a look at RoyalTS Help, and of course try the Forum Search function :-)

New Post
3/27/2012 9:41 AM

We've discussed a couple of those ideas and investigated how we could implement that in Royal TS:

In short, we cannot use icons or colors because of the underlying framework and the fact that we are looking at implementing custom colored tabs (in the connection properties).

So the solution we are thinking of, is basically as follows:

Connected (standard) will display the tab as configured (either using the default icon or a custom icon). Future versions may also allow you to configure the tab color (red for production, blue for test, etc.).

Disconnected (once we've implemented sticky tabs which are left open if disconnected remotely), we will just render the disconnected (greyscale partly transparent) icon in the tab as indicator that the connection is disconnected.

Activity will be indicated by a * at the end of the tab caption. We figured that this is a standard way to indicate something has changed and would be very easy to implement. The * will only be appended if the is not selected. Once it is selected the * is cleared again.

Inactivity could be implemented by rendering the tab caption italic. I guess a global setting to configure the timespan (number of seconds) to consider a connection inactive would suffice or do you see the need to configure this on a connection level?

What do you think?

cheers,
Stefan

Stay in touch:

New Post
3/27/2012 12:37 PM

Hi Stefan!

That sounds good to me.

The coloured tabs for each environments (production, tests, etc...) is a very good idea laugh

For the * at the end of the tab's title, I think it would be sufficient and as you say it's more standard!

Inactivity shown as italic title is good too. The timespan can be set globally in Royal TS options, there is no really need to set it at a connection basis. Default value can be set at 5 seconds after the last activity.

Nicolas.
Before posting, don't forget to take a look at RoyalTS Help, and of course try the Forum Search function :-)

New Post
4/20/2012 5:02 PM

I've implemented both (* and italic) indicators and options to switch them on and off in the connection properties:

http://www.code4ward.net/main/Forums/...

cheers,
Stefan

Stay in touch:

New Post
4/20/2012 6:17 PM

Stephan,

I'm sorry but I've opened 2 terminals with one viewing my mailserver logs in the background while working in the other terminal and the tab title doesn't change on activity (*)/inactivity (italic) for the first tab frown

I've also tried with the 2 tabs in splited (horizontal) view and when the Royal TS window is not focused but no changes (* or italic) on the tabs' title...

Nicolas.

New Post
4/20/2012 6:23 PM

Did you activate the options in the display options?

Stay in touch:

New Post
4/20/2012 6:27 PM

Oops blush

Missed that ... It's better with the 2 options checked cheeky

Just one thing, the textbox for the inactivity time is a little too short wink

Nicolas.

New Post
4/20/2012 6:31 PM

I'm using a beta version of the ui library in this build and it seems that I have to verify all pages again. Seems to be an issue with the layout manager.

Stay in touch:

New Post
4/22/2012 11:49 AM

This dialog page should now work better in the new build 10422.

Stay in touch:

Previous

Next
HomeHomeRoyal TS (for W...Royal TS (for W...Beta DiscussionBeta Discussion[Request][SSH] Connection status indicator in tabs[Request][SSH] Connection status indicator in tabs